Vacation is an opportunity to take some time away from work. A lot of people start counting down to the vacation, as soon as the year begins. However, a lot of people still postpone their vacation for some reasons, such as an overload of work and other obligations. A vacation provides an opportunity to take some time off from work, and also to relax and rest for that short period. This is because working from morning to evening every day for months, usually take a toll on the mind and body. Working consistently for long periods without taking a break affects physical resistance and mental capacities. This is asides from causing fatigue and stress.
What Is Vacation?
As earlier explained, vacation involves taking a break from work, and changing your environment. In fact, vacation doesn’t mean the affected individual would have to leave the house or city. The main thing is to be in a relaxed environment, that is devoid of anything that could put any form of stress on the mind. However, most people decide to change their environment during their vacation. This is because a change in the environment helps one to disconnect entirely from daily concerns. Vacation is usually more relaxing when the individual does away with his or her mobile device or internet. This frees the mind from any distraction, and the person can just focus on relaxing.
What Are Some Of The Benefits Of Vacation?
- Vacation is fun- One of the main reasons why people go on vacation is because they are fun, and it is usually an opportunity to relax and have fun with your favorite person, or just be by yourself without having to concern yourself with work-related Taking some time off to have off, is not only good for the health, but also for the overall well being of the individual.
- Helps to reduce the risk of heart attack- Working every day for a long period of time has some effects on the heart, especially when the individual doesn’t get involved insufficient physical activities. Studies have shown that taking some time off work to de-stress reduces the risk f developing a heart attack by at least, 30% for men, and 50% for women. In addition, stress, which includes both physical and mental is one of the most important risk factors of developing heart diseases. Example of heart diseases includes stroke, coronary heart diseases, high blood pressure and so on. Although it is great to work and achieve what you have set your mind to achieve, however, this should not be done at the expense of your mental and physical health. Take a vacation today when you can, and your body would thank you for it.
- Vacation improves your energy reserves-One of the main reasons people go on vacation is so they can be refreshed and recharged for work. Working without taking a break might look like hard work which is good, but our productivity reduces when the body and mind are The best way to boost our energy reserve is not by hitting the gym every day, but by being in an environment that is devoid of any work-related activity. Studies have shown that people are most productive when they come back from vacation or a trip.
- Job satisfaction- Studies have shown that people who take more vacation time are generally happier with their jobs, as compared to those that don’t take any vacation. This is because taking a vacation gives people the opportunity to recharge and attack the tasks they have to complete with replenished energy and vigor. This earns them a better performance review than those that do not take vacations.
- Vacations help to get a raise- As earlier mentioned, those that take more vacation time usually gets a better review than those who don’t go on vacations. This can be attributed to the fact that people come back revitalized and energized from vacation. This is what earns them a better review, as compared to other workers. Better performance review translates to higher pay, which is usually above 10%.
- Vacation gives people a natural high-Studies have shown that people experience a rush of feel-good hormones and neurotransmitters when they are doing something adventurous or really exciting. Examples of the hormones and neurotransmitters include dopamine, serotonin and so on. This is why it’s essential to go on vacations where there is a lot of adventures and activities such as hiking, mountain climbing, scuba diving and so on. Anything that is outside of the individual’s daily activity would be ideal. This improves the overall wellness and mental state of the individual.
- Vacations make people happier with their life-Studies have shown that people that go on vacation regularly are generally happier with their lives. The more active one is with his or her leisure time, the more control you would have over your free time. Being in control of your time, makes one feel more satisfied with life.
- Vacations improve the economy-There are some countries that thrive and generates a significant part of their revenue from tourism. Examples of these countries and cities include Dubai, Greece, Indonesia and so on. Going to these countries greatly boosts their economy. In addition, going on vacations within your country would translate into a lot of money for the country. You’d be enriching the economy of whatever country you decide to go take a vacation.
- Vacation helps to keep the mind calm, and relaxed-The brain can get used to not vacationing, especially after working for long without any break. This takes a toll on the mind and the body in general. Studies have shown that the neural connection that helps to produce feelings of calmness tends to become weak, when not used for a long time. This makes it difficult to switch our minds to relaxation mode, even when trying to have fun. One of the ways of improving this situation is taking some time out to relax and rest, without having to do anything work-related. This would help to improve the neural connections that improve
- Vacation happiness can be spread to others-It has been noticed that individuals that go on vacation do have some effect on their co-workers when they get back. Their happiness and calmness do rub off on people around them. It has also been shown that when a large number of people in an office goes on vacation, they effectively improve the situation in their office space when the return. This can be likened to the last day before the summer holiday in a high school.
- Vacation has a way of prolonging people’s lives- As earlier mentioned, vacation is a way to de-stress, relax and rest our body. Doing this has a lot of benefits for the body. Studies have shown that countries that give a vacation of more than 30 days in a year do have citizens that live longer, have a high life expectancy and lower health costs.
- Vacations improve the workflow-Going on vacation means that someone has to step up, to do your job when you’re away. You’d have to transfer document your processes, for whoever would be taking up the job. This whole process does involve training identifying skill sets in other workers. This makes them more valuable to the firm, while you also to get to go on vacation, to come back with more energy, and insight into doing things. Overall, this also boosts the workflow, and everybody wins.
- Vacations help to make better bosses: Studies have shown that about 85% of executives canceled their vacation with claims that there is a lot to do at work. Generally, this tends to affect their productivity in the long run. Typically, the company would benefit more if executives go on vacations, and come back refreshed and revitalized to work.
- Improves relationships-It has been shown that taking a vacation with your spouse or family helps to improve Studies have also indicated that women, who take vacations at least twice in a year, are less prone to be tense, depressed or fatigued with their marriages. This is not only good for individuals and families, but also for the country. Only a happy family can raise happy children.
- Vacation helps to improve mental health-It has been shown that people that go on vacation, at least twice in a year, are generally mentally healthier than those who don’t. In addition to this, going on vacations helps to reduce the risks of developing a mental illness such as depression, mental fatigue and so on. People that go on vacation are generally less tense and anxious and usually returns replenished and revitalized.
What Are The Dangers Of Not Taking A Vacation?
Although a large number of people understands the benefits of taking a break from work and going on vacations. A lot of people still don’t go on vacations for various reasons. Below are some of the common reasons why employees rather stay at work instead of going on vacation-
- Finances-This is one of the most common reasons why people choose not to go on vacation. This is more prominent in countries where peoples pay are low. It is quite understandable if people that don’t earn enough money decide to keep working, instead of spending their little earnings on vacation. However, what must be understood is that vacation isn’t just for people who earn a lot of money. People who don’t earn enough money and wants to go on vacation during summer can actually start saving a year in advance. Setting aside some little percentage of your income can help per month at least 10 months before summer would solve the issues of funds. In addition, you don’t have to break the bank to go on vacation. In fact, you don’t have to visit a new country. You can decide to visit a city or town you’ve not been to with your family and enjoy within your The main idea of vacationing is staying away from work, relaxing and resting your mind an body.
- Value perception- There are situations where people feel they are too valuable to take some time off from work. This is why a lot of people don’t go on vacations. They want to keep providing their services. However, employees are more valuable to their employers when they’re functioning in their optimum capacity. You’d be doing your employer a lot of good by presenting your refreshed and energetic self for service. In fact, this would earn you a good review in the long run, and subsequently, a pay rise.
- Value insecurity-One of the reasons why people don’t go on vacation is because they’d be replaced before they return to work after their holiday. A lot of people do hold them out of sight, is out of mind belief, when it comes to going on holidays. This holds true for a lot of employees, especially when they feel it’s easy for the firm to have replaced. It’s therefore important for firms and companies to assure their employee that is going on vacation is actually for their benefit, and that of the company too. There has to be a culture that would make employees comfortable to want to go on vacations without any value insecurity.
The various benefits of going on vacation have been discussed, and the effect of not going on vacation. It is essential to learn about the steps involved in planning a successful vacation that would be filled with a lot of adventures, and overall, help us achieve optimum rest and relaxation.
Tips On How To Plan A Perfect Vacation
As previously mentioned, vacation is important and should be seen as part f life. Taking some time off to relax and rest is good for the body, and also for the mind. People go back to their jobs refreshed and revitalized after going on holidays. Taking some time from work to relax helps to sharpen the mind, and also helps to increase our productivity in the long run. However, while people would like to go on vacation, some don’t know how to go about it. Below are some tips to help with planning a perfect vacation-
- Choose a place you want to visit-One of the first decision you have to make is deciding where you’d like to visit. There are some things you must consider when making this type of decision. Some of the things to consider include the following
- Would you require a visa-It is vital to make inquiries if you’d need a visa to visit the country? If you’d need a visa, you have to apply some months beforehand, so you’d have the visa when you eventually decide to go on vacation. However, there are some counties that do not require any visa for most countries, while some give visas on arrival. Most popular tourist destinations do not need visas such as Maldives, Dubai and so on. Another thing to consider is the type of passport you own. As an illustration, individuals with German, British and American passports can travel to a more than a hundred countries without a visa.
- Funds-You have to factor in the cost of living in the country you want to visit. As an illustration, the cost of living is on the high side in tourist destinations such as Dubai, Singapore, and so on. You’d have to consider how much you’d be willing to spend on the vacation. If the cost surpasses your budget, then you should consider another destination. In addition, you must consider the cost of the ticket. As an illustration, traveling from America to China doesn’t cost less than $2000 on just flight tickets. On the other hand, you would probably not spend up to this if you decide to travel within the United States or a nearby location, and still, have a quality experience. However, this shouldn’t be a problem, if money isn’t an issue
- Safety-This is one of the initial things to consider when choosing a vacation location. You must consider how safe the place you want to visit is. The embassies of various countries regularly advise their citizens on which countries they should avoid. As an example, it’d be best to avoid war-torn countries and places with terrorist activities.
- When are you traveling- After considering all the options above, and deciding on which place you want to visit. The next thing to do is to decide when you’d be traveling. You must consider the weather condition in this place before making a decision of when to go. As an illustration, the climate in some countries such as Australia is different from most countries. It’s usually summer in Australia when it’s winter in America.
- Narrow it down to a specific place- After making a decision on where you want to vacation, you should narrow it down to a specific You have to put into consideration the various activities such as festivals, and so on, that might happen during that time of the year. Are there specific places you would like to visit when you get there? These are essential questions to ask before going on a trip so you can have a full and pleasant experience.
- Plan your time- Going on a vacation can be tricky. As an illustration, you don’t want to spend too long, because you might get tired and want to return home. At the same time, you want to enjoy your time while there thoroughly. This is why it’s best to draw out a plan and follow them. Highlight where you would like to visit even before booking the flight or train ticket, so you don’t miss out on anything. If you’re going to be spending 10 days, you should write out what and where you’d be visiting in those days. This is to ensure that you’re not bored, and also get the best out of your trip.
- Go with friends or relatives- It’s generally more enjoyable when you travel with friends or relative. Asides from the fun part, you can also look after each other, keeping each other in control.
- Countdown-Counting down days till your vacation date is a big part of the fun of a trip, especially when you’ve planned ahead for a long time. Planning ahead gives you access to a lot of reservations. It also keeps your mind at ease. You won’t be in any rush. In addition, planning months ahead gives you the chance to get flight tickets and hotel accommodation for very low As an illustration, booking a flight from Kiev, Ukraine to London, United Kingdom could be as low as 70$ for a round trip ticket if you book at least one month before your date. However, this could go up to about $700 if you book within 2 weeks to your flight date. This is just an example of the benefits of planning ahead.
- Take care of the practical things-If you have a family or kids and don’t want to go with your kids on vacation. You should make a solid arrangement of who’s going to stay with them while you’re on vacation. Also, people with pets should get someone that would take care of their pet while they are away. Ensure to take care of the practical things as early as possible, way before you embark on your trip.
- Make a plan- As earlier mentioned you should draw out a plan of what you’d do when you arrive at your destination. Although just wish to change their environment just to relax and do nothing. Some people really just want to have fun and get adventurous. Whichever it is you choose to do, ensure you have a plan, so you’d achieve the purpose of your trip.
- Go tech-free– Technology has become a huge part of our lives, that we can’t even do without it. You only consider using your mobile phone or computer when necessary, when on vacation.
- Plan the best for the end– It’s always best to save the best fun for the last few days of your vacation. Endeavor not to pack all the fun activities in the beginning part of the vacation. You should save the activity you’ve been looking forward to, for the last days of your vacation. It’s always best to end your trip with a bang.
- Stay somewhere comfortable– Since you’d be going for a vacation for a short time. It’d be always a good idea to stay somewhere amazing. Staying in an amazing place for a week or two after working consistently for long stretches of months is deserving.
Blichfeldt, B. (2007). A nice vacation: Variations in experience aspirations and travel careers. Journal of Vacation Marketing, 13(2), pp.149-164.
Healthnet.com. (2019). Health Benefits of Vacations. [online] Available at: https://www.healthnet.com/portal/home/content/iwc/home/articles/health_benefits_of_vacations.action [Accessed 17 Feb. 2019].